Caramel Filled Butterfinger Cake


I love pumpkin pie. Don’t get me wrong. But this year on thanksgiving I wanted to try something different. Something not so traditional. I scoured my cook books and Pinterest for inspiration and came across this gem. I will call it “Caramel Filled Butterfinger Cake” because that makes me want to eat the whole dang thing.

Also I would like to take the time to point out how thankful I am to live in a country where I have so many options as to what I can eat. We all take for granted the luxuries we have. Even when I have ‘no food’, I have plenty of food.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Caramel Filled Butterfinger Cake is surprisingly easy. Which it has to be for me to make it. Here’s the story:

        Ingredients:
          1 box yellow cake mix, prepared (usually needs 3 eggs and oil)
          1 can sweetened condensed milk
          1 jar of caramel ice cream topping
          1 container of whipped topping
          3 Butterfinger bars, smashed up
This is a horrible picture of a delicious cake.

     1. Prepare a yellow cake mix according to the box in a 9x13 cake pan. I used a disposable pan because we were eating at my brother and sister in-laws.

     2.  As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, use a butter knife or something similar to poke holes into the cake. Kinda hold the hole open and pour in the sweetened condensed milk. Then pour in the caramel topping.  I warmed my caramel according to the directions on the jar. I also didn’t use all of it, but that was because I wanted to eat it with a spoon later while I hid in the bathroom.

       3. Let the cake cool COMPLETELY. Note the all CAPS. It’s because this step is important.

       4. When the cake is cooled, top with the whipped topping. Sprinkle the smashed Butterfinger across the top.

       5. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.

To smash the Butterfinger’s, I removed them from their wrapper, placed them in a gallon baggie and took a hammer to them. Yeah, I said hammer. I guess I should buy a meat mallet or something. Anyway. Another thing I may try next time is placing some chocolate or peanut butter chips in the holes as well.  

This went over well on Thanksgiving. But then again, how can you go wrong with caramel and Butterfinger? And cake…and whipped topping? 

Comments