How It All Comes Together

Well. 

Things are never mundane in my life; that’s for sure.  With four kids in my house and a husband, two dogs and a cat, you can bet your bottom dollar there is never a dull moment!  Top that with the full schedule we all keep and my house resembles Grand Central Station at times! 

So it’s likely no surprise that I’ve decided to leave my full time job of nearly five years to…to do what?

To follow God’s calling.

Ok, so where’s He calling me?

Right now, He is calling me to take classes at Lincoln Christian University.
  
Ok.  So then what?

Here’s the kicker: I don’t know.  And I’m ok with that.  People are shocked when I say I don’t know what’s next.  It’s not like me to not have a plan.  Right now, I feel like I’m supposed to minister to women, but in what capacity, I don’t know.  And I’m ok with that.  There's a peace that comes with not knowing, trusting that the Lord will provide.

Then there’s this other thing.  This gift God has blessed me with: My ability to write.  My ability to take letters on a page and turn them into a world that you can only see in your minds eye.  I have no doubt my passion for writing was instilled on me several years back so I would have time to improve and learn from mistakes.  So I would be better equipped to express myself and describe the madness in my mind.  

Oh, and let’s not forget the little trip to Michigan He sent me on with a bunch of teenagers.  That opened my eyes to a world that…I have no words.  Let me just say: Being a teenaged girl today is not what it was when I was a teenager.  (And I don’t think I’m that old!)

Not too long ago, I heard about a new endeavor a friend was taking—one that would debunk the majority societal view of how girls should look and act.  I was awed by this, and still am today.  My friend’s mission stayed on my mind and in my heart for days.

Then she contacted me and asked me to be a part of it.

Wow.  How amazing is that?

My friend, Amy Denney, is launching a non-profit magazine for girls, ages 13-19.  It is called Mighty Strong Girls.  Its vision is to “Encourage, educate, equip, and empower girls to discover their unique gifts and calling in Christ.”  I am flattered beyond words to have been asked to be a part of this!

I received a message from Amy asking me if I could write a regular column on beauty.  I was like, ‘what?’  Me?  Write about beauty?  I bite my nails and usually just throw my hair in a ponytail.  My clothes are from thrift stores.  But then I remembered:

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. (1 Samuel 16:7b)

Isn’t that worth celebrating?  The old phrase ‘Beauty is only skin deep’ comes to mind.  Originating in the 1600’s, it tells us what we should already know: Real beauty isn’t what the eye can see; it’s what’s on the inside.  Real beauty is in the heart, in the spirit, in our actions.  That’s the beauty that matters.  Not your weight.  Not your eye color.  Not your nails and makeup.  Not your clothes.  Not your hair.  Not the shade of your tan. 

I just want to scream at tween and teen girls: IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE!!!! AND STOP TAKING PICTURES OF YOURSELF IN THE BATHROOM MIRROR!! (But that is a topic for another blog, perhaps.)
 
Real beauty is your kindness.  Your concern for others.  Your willingness to help.  You patience with a friend.  Your heart for the Lord.  Your strength when times get tough.  Your ability to forgive.  Your uniqueness.  Your love for those less fortunate.  Your self-confidence.  Your courageous spirit.  Your devotion to your family.

So for me to write a regular column on this type of beauty; yes, I think I can handle that. 

I believe the Lord works in mysterious ways.  And as a person who likes to plan ahead to the point of repulsion, I can’t help but wonder what He has in store, not only for me, but for Mighty Strong Girls. 

My years of writing have gone unpublished because I was writing the wrong stuff.  However, now I know what I am doing when I start making beauty out of mere words.  God primed me for what was to come.  And it’s just beginning.

Please visit Mighty Strong Girls and learn more about it.  Also, like the Mighty Strong Girls Facebook page and leave us an encouraging message.  The first issue will be out in November, but there is still a need for experienced writers and photographers, as well as teen bloggers.  Please pray for this much needed resource for teen girls.  Tell your friends.  Tell your daughters.  Tell your friends daughters. 

This is big. 

And it’s going to be great.

Comments

  1. You are awesome. This blog post is amazing. This "thing," it's....well, so much bigger than any of us! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment